This ‘stroke home care’ app is aimed to develop to train the caregivers (relatives) of the stroke patients who are discharged from the hospital in bedridden condition regarding basic nursing care like prevention of bedsore, urinary catheter care, feeding, position change, active and passive exercises, so that these caregivers can become capable to provide the basic nursing care at home. This app is available in English and Hindi languages.
This app has the following contents:
Section A: What is stroke?
This animated video section is explained about what is stroke, sign and symptoms of stroke, risk factors of stroke, how to prevent stroke, treatment of acute stroke, rehabilitation after stroke etc.
Section B: What can be the problems after stroke?
The stroke patients may have various problems after stroke like bedsore, frozen shoulder, contractures, urinary tract infection, foul smelling from mouth, fever etc. The caregivers can fill up these problems in the app and submit. On the other hand, the researcher analyzes these problems and can take necessary actions to provide timely care to the patients.
Section C: How can I provide home care to my stroke patient?
This is very important section of the app. In this section the validated instructional video for basic nursing care are made under the supervision of the following experts in the concerned fields:
- Stroke Expert: Dheeraj Khurana, Stroke Incharge, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
- Nursing Expert:
- Dr Sukhpal Kaur, Lecturer, NINE, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
- Dr Manju Dadapanni, Lecturer, NINE, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
- Dr Monika Dutta, Lecturer, NINE, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
- Ms Manisha Nagi, Tutor, NINE, PGIMER, Chandigarh
- Ms Maninderdeep Kaur, Tutor, NINE, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
- Ms Ruchi Saini, Tutor, NINE, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
- Physiotherapy Expert: Dr Rajan Chellapa, Physiotherapist, Department of Physiotherapy, PGIMER
- Psychological Expert:
- Dr Karobi Das, Lecturer, NINE, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
- Dr Manju Mohanty, Assistant Professor, PGIMER
- Dr Akhilesh Yadav, Assistant Professor, PGIMER, Chandigarh
- Dr Sunita Sharma, Lecturer, PGIMER
These videos are focused on:
- What is bedsore? How to prevent bedsore?
- How do I care of mouth of patient?
- How do I care urinary catheter of my patient?
- How do I feed my patient through feeding tube?
- How do I provide active and passive exercises of upper and lower limb to my patient?
- How to provide psychological support to my patient?
Section D: This section contains following areas:
- Important do’s and don’ts: This section has hand washing with soap and hand-rub video for the caregivers so that the caregivers can wash their hands before and after touching their patient. This section also has ‘Medication do’s and don’ts instructions’ for the patients.
- Follow up Schedule: The caregivers can send their three preference date for Neurology OPD follow up on Monday/Wednesday according to their suitability. The researcher on the other hand send text message to confirm their follow-up schedule. This is a two way communication.
- Feedback: The caregivers can send their procedural video (only for 25 seconds recording) to the researcher. The researcher can rectify the caregivers if they are performing any wrong step in any care procedure. The researcher will call the caregiver on their phone and give training regarding the procedure.